Have you ever puzzled what makes the USB ports in your PC operate? If youre utilizing the USB ports on the entrance panel of your PC, know that all of them should be linked to the motherboard, and the precise port youre on the lookout for is the USB header.
Basically, they’re a set of pins answerable for sending alerts to USB ports. However, the again panel USB ports and the extension playing cards wouldn’t have any relation to the USB headers, as they’ve a direct connection to the motherboard.
If you want to study extra about USB headers on motherboard, youre on the proper place! In this text, you’ll study what USB headers are, the place they’re situated, their differing kinds, and how one can join USB ports to them.
What are USB Headers and Where are They Located?
USB headers on a motherboard are merely the connectors that guarantee USB units are accurately linked. Generally, they’re situated on the backside or the suitable facet of the circuit board, relying on the kind of USB header.
To find the USB headers, navigate to your motherboard and discover the labels having F_USB, J_USB, FPANEL_USB, F_USB2, or comparable indications. If you can’t do this, you possibly can use your motherboard handbook to detect the place they precisely lie.
Basically, these are simply the several types of USB headers, and so they differ when it comes to the variety of pins and their configuration. We will likely be discussing all of them in additional sections.
Different Types of USB Headers
If youre constructing a customized PC, its important to know what USB header varieties your motherboard helps.
Well, every of them differs primarily based on pins and the variety of USB ports they will help. Although most USB headers can use two USB ports, some solely help one.
Moreover, the header varieties correspond precisely to the USB generations. This merely signifies that the USB header helps solely the sort of USB technology you utilize. For instance, the USB 3.0 cant be positioned within the USB 2.0 header resulting from measurement incompatibility. To study extra, heres a whole information on the variations between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
Generally, USB headers might be categorised into 4 varieties or generations. In this part, we are going to focus on every of them briefly.
USB 2.0 Header
To affirm that you’ve got a USB 2.0 header, youll see that the label on the motherboard mentions USB 2.0. Well, this is likely one of the most typical headers and is situated within the backside a part of most motherboards.
Moreover, they’ve 9 pins in a 5×2 association, which means 5 pins every on two rows. However, the second row has one pin lacking to make sure correct alignment.
USB 3.0 or 3.2 Gen 1 Header
The USB 3.2 Gen 1 header, beforehand referred to as USB 3.0, is recognized by the USB 3.0 label. They are situated on the motherboards backside or proper facet, relying on varied forms of motherboard.
Although they appear fairly much like the USB 2.0 headers, they’re comparatively extra environment friendly. Moreover, they’ve a complete of nineteen pins in a ten×2 association, ten pins within the first row and 9 within the second. As within the USB 2.0 headers, in addition they have a pin lacking within the second row.
USB 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 2 Header
Like the USB 3.0 header, the USB 3.1 or 3.2 Gen 2 might be situated both on the backside or proper facet of the motherboard.
While each the earlier generations had pin association, the USB 3.1 wouldn’t have such a configuration. Instead, they undertake a distinctive metallic casing with no pins protruding.
USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 Header
Basically, USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 header is the superior type of the USB 3.2 Gen 2 header. However, one factor to bear in mind is that they’re situated solely on the motherboards proper facet.
Well, the one distinction between these two headers lies within the channel. While the USB 3.0, 3.1, and three.2 headers are single-channeled, the USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 helps twin channels.
Interestingly, they’re additionally known as the USB Type-E header and look very an identical to the USB Type-A ports. Moreover, they’re uncommon to seek out and would possibly solely be accessible on trendy and dear motherboards.
What’s the Difference Between F_USB and J_USB?
Generally, most motherboard producers use F_USB1 or F_USB2 labels to point the entrance panel USB ports. So, the letter F merely signifies Front within the USB headers.
However, it’s possible you’ll not discover the F_USB header on each motherboard. Well, the explanation behind that is that another producers use a special letter to point the USB ports. For instance, yow will discover J_USB1, J_USB2, or comparable indications on an MSI motherboard.
Moreover, most older PCs used J_USB headers, the place J stood for Jumper, and so they solely supported half-duplex communication. Unfortunately, this created impasse, and the USB units typically malfunctioned.
Later, a number of producers adopted USBs that supported full-duplex mode and named them F_USB. But even as we speak, yow will discover J_USB on MSI motherboards which have began supporting full-duplex, and the letter J now stands for Jack.
So, the one distinction between F_USB and J_USB is the indications given by completely different producers. In reality, in the event you discover another letters, in addition they might very nicely imply and do the identical work.
Do Back Panel USB Ports Require USB Headers?
Most customers desire the rear panel USB ports which are immediately embedded into the motherboard. Thus, you don’t want to attach them to the USB headers.
Similarly, if youve added a further USB growth card, they’re immediately plugged into the PCIe slot within the circuit board. Thus, you don’t require a further USB header connection for them as nicely.
How Do I Connect USB Ports to the USB Headers?
Now that you recognize the several types of USB headers, its important to study concerning the inside USB cable. Basically, they’re the extension cables that allow you to connect the USB ports to the USB headers.
In todays market, yow will discover two forms of inside USB cables – one with a USB header jack and one other with particular person wires for every pin. Although the working mechanism is similar, the connecting process for the latter one is a bit technical. Hence, if the connection isnt safe, you would possibly encounter errors like USB Device Over Current Status Detected.
- VCC Pin: Voltage Common Collector or VCC is answerable for offering energy to the USB ports by carrying a +5 V sign. To establish it, you possibly can both test the pins label, which ought to say VCC, or go for the red-colored wire.
- DATA- Pin: This pin lies subsequent to the Vcc pin, and its wire is white. Basically, the DATA- pin is answerable for carrying downstream knowledge connections.
- DATA+ Pin: Like DATA-, the DATA+ pin carries the upstream knowledge connections and ensures correct communication between your pc and USB units. Its positioned subsequent to the DATA- pin and has inexperienced wiring.
- GND Pin: Ground or GND is useful for the discount of electromagnetic interference. Well, that is the final pin on the motherboard that sends again the voltage carried by the VCC pin. This ensures no extra present is flown from the USB system to the motherboard and vice versa, stopping short-circuiting.
With the essential concept of the assorted pins, now you can undergo the guides under on connecting each forms of inside USB cables to the USB headers.
Connecting Internal USB Cable Jack
If youre utilizing a USB 3.0 or above, youll possible discover a jack as a substitute of particular person wires. Thus, its comparatively simple to attach it to the USB header with out having detailed data concerning the pins and their configuration.
Moreover, a number of USB 2.0 inside cables today additionally include a jack, making the connection fairly easy for tech rookies. So, with out additional delay, lets bounce proper into the mandatory steps for connecting inside USB header jacks to the USB headers on the motherboard:
- Firstly, open the PC case utilizing a screwdriver or just urgent the devoted button, whichever is relevant.
- Now, take the entrance panel USB panel and guarantee a correct connection. To achieve this, merely insert the connector into the port and tighten the connection by urgent each ends.
- Then, you possibly can place the USB panel in its devoted slot on the PC case.
- Next, navigate to your motherboard and find the USB header by inspecting the label of the ports. Well, the placement of the USB header is both on the underside or proper facet, relying on the kind we mentioned earlier.
- Now, take the interior USB cable jack or the feminine wire and easily insert it into the USB header, making certain appropriate pin alignment.
- Finally, shut the case, flip in your PC, and join a USB system to see if the whole lot works tremendous.
Note: Some USB panels even have a separate audio port cable. Well, it has a special pin configuration and doesn’t match within the USB header. Instead, it is advisable insert it on its devoted motherboard port labeled F_AUDIO, JAUD1, and so forth.
Connecting Individual USB Port Wires
If you’ve an older model of the USB 2.0, you would possibly discover a completely different connector having particular person wires for every pin. In such a case, youll must know the place every of them must be linked.
If the wires arent correctly linked, the PC wont acknowledge your USB units, and within the worst case, this will likely trigger short-circuiting. So, please observe the under process to get an concept of the best way to correctly join the person USB port wires to the USB headers:
- Carefully open the PC case and guarantee correct connection on the USB panel.
- Then, insert the 2 VCC wires on the USB Headers first pin from the left.
- Next, join the DATA- wires adjoining to the VCC pins.
- Now, insert the DATA+ wires subsequent to the DATA-.
- Then, place the GND wires within the fourth pin, leaving the ultimate one untouched.
- Close the PC case, and switch in your PC.
- Finally, join any USB system, like your keyboard, mouse, or flash drive to test whether or not they work or not.
Can I Add More USB Headers?
Generally, most motherboards include a most of two or three USB headers. However, if youre planning to embed a further USB header, its unattainable to take action.
Nonetheless, in case you have a USB 2.0 adapter supporting a single USB system, you possibly can be a part of two such cables into one. This means, youll be capable to use two completely different USB units utilizing a single USB header:
- First of all, fastidiously take away the pins from one of many inside USB cable jacks utilizing a flat instrument or a pair of tweezers.
- Now, fastidiously insert every pin (VCC, DATA-, DATA-, and GND) within the empty slot of the opposite cable jack. While doing so, make sure that every of them is accurately aligned on their respective positions primarily based on the colours.
- Finally, insert the feminine connector into the USB header, and you need to be capable to use two completely different USB units concurrently.
You may even use a USB hub to entry a extra vital variety of USB units. Basically, the system takes only one USB port out of your PC and offers you with a number of extra USB ports.
Lastly, you too can add USB extension playing cards on to the PCIe slot within the motherboard. This means, you wouldn’t have to fret about extra USB headers.