Sure, tomatoes are superb sliced up in a salad or tossed into your pasta dish. But whenever you want a tomato repair in a pinch, why not throw it within the trusty ol’ microwave? I do know, I do know – we’ve been conditioned to suppose microwaves are solely good for reheating leftovers and prompt mac n’ cheese, however they will do SO rather more (together with cooking tomatoes).
In this information, I’ll cowl every thing it is advisable learn about microwaving tomatoes, together with how lengthy it takes to cook dinner them, suggestions for getting the perfect outcomes, and the best way to retailer and use your cooked tomatoes. Whether you’re trying to make a fast sauce or roast tomatoes for salads and snacking, microwaving tomatoes may develop into your favourite cooking methodology! So let’s get began.
Can You Microwave Tomatoes?
Yes, you may microwave tomatoes. Microwaving is a good way to shortly blanch these versatile fruits with out the necessity for boiling water or different cumbersome strategies. Simply reduce slits into the pores and skin of your tomatoes and place them on a microwave-safe dish. Cook for 2-3 minutes, relying on the specified doneness, and voila – easy-to-peel tomatoes in simply minutes!
Another method to cook dinner tomatoes within the microwave is to roast them. Using the microwave you now not need to depend on the oven, which may take up numerous time and power. You can both halve or dice them. Simply place the tomatoes on a microwave-safe dish, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and cook dinner for 5-10 minutes.
The outcomes are shockingly good! Especially in the event you take into account it takes simply 10 minutes to cook dinner a tomato within the microwave, in comparison with 30 or 35 minutes within the oven. Sure some individuals might argue that oven-roasted tomatoes style higher, however in a pinch, they’re a wonderful possibility – and a lot extra handy.
How Long Does It Take to Microwave Tomatoes?
The cook dinner time for microwaved tomatoes will rely on the scale and number of your tomatoes. As a normal guideline, 2-3 minutes is sufficient to blanch small tomatoes like cherry or grape tomatoes. For roasting tomatoes, you’ll want round 5-10 minutes, relying on the scale of your tomatoes and desired doneness.
If you’re new to microwaving tomatoes, be sure you begin with small batches and alter the cooking time accordingly. Start with a shorter cooking time and add further time as wanted. This will assist forestall your tomatoes from drying out or overcooking.
How to Cook Tomatoes within the Microwave
There are two completely different purposes for cooking tomatoes within the microwave: blanching and roasting. Here are the fundamental steps for every methodology:
How to Blanch Tomatoes within the Microwave:
- Make two criss-cross slits within the pores and skin of every tomato.
- Arrange tomatoes on a plate and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully take away tomatoes from the microwave. Use oven mitts to keep away from burning your fingers.
- Soak the tomatoes in a bowl of iced water for 1 minute. This helps to loosen the skins, making it simpler to peel them.
- Once cooled, peel off the skins.
How to Roast Tomatoes within the Microwave:
- Halve two tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes with the reduce floor going through up on a microwave-safe dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, herb, and some other seasonings of your alternative.
- Microwave on excessive for five minutes.
- Check the tomatoes to see if they’re cooked to your required doneness. Cook for added time as wanted, checking in 2-3 minute intervals.
Tips for Microwaving Tomatoes
Here are just a few easy suggestions that will help you get the perfect outcomes when microwaving tomatoes:
Use Smaller Tomatoes
One of the keys to profitable microwaved tomatoes is utilizing smaller tomatoes. They’ll cook dinner extra evenly and gained’t take as lengthy, which suggests they gained’t flip into mush. If you’ll find cherry or grape tomatoes, these are very best, however any small tomato will work. Just ensure they’re all roughly the identical dimension in order that they cook dinner evenly.
Use a Microwave-Safe Dish
This one ought to go with out saying, however be sure you use a microwave-safe dish when microwaving your tomatoes. Glass or ceramic are each good decisions. Avoid non-microwave-safe containers as they will leach chemical compounds into your meals when heated or injury your microwave.
Make Two Light Criss-Cross Slits
Before you set your tomatoes within the microwave, make two gentle criss-cross slits within the pores and skin of every one. This will forestall them from exploding. If you don’t reduce the pores and skin, the pressure from the steam build-up inside your tomatoes may cause them to burst open.
Keep Them In a Single Layer
Although tomatoes will shrink as they cook dinner, attempt to maintain them in a single layer in your dish. If they’re too shut collectively or stacked on high of one another, they gained’t cook dinner evenly.
How to Store Microwaved Tomatoes
Once you’re accomplished cooking your tomatoes, be sure you retailer them correctly. Let the cooked tomatoes cool right down to room temperature earlier than transferring them to an hermetic container or plastic bag. You can retailer them within the fridge for as much as 5 days, or within the freezer for as much as 12 months.
When freezing your tomatoes, be sure you take away as a lot air from the container or freezer-safe bag as attainable. This will assist forestall freezer burn and prolong their shelf life. You can freeze cooked tomatoes on their very own, or in a sauce. Just be sure you label your container with the date and contents earlier than freezing.
To thaw frozen tomatoes, merely switch them to the fridge and allow them to thaw in a single day. If you want them sooner, you may defrost them within the microwave on the defrost setting. Make positive to maintain a detailed eye on them, as they might begin to cook dinner if left within the microwave for too lengthy.
How to Use Blanched and Roasted Tomatoes
Blanched and roasted tomatoes can be utilized in a wide range of completely different dishes. Here are what I normally make with mine:
1. Make tomato soup. This is a good way to make use of up a lot of tomatoes directly. Simply blanch the tomatoes, then puree them in a blender or meals processor with some rooster or vegetable broth, garlic, and salt and pepper to style. If you desire a creamier soup, you may add some half-and-half or cream on the finish. Serve with some crusty bread for dipping and revel in!
2. Salsa! Salsa is all the time a success at events, and it’s really easy to make your individual at residence. Simply cube up some blanched tomatoes, onion, inexperienced bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro. Mix along with lime juice, salt, and pepper to style. Serve with chips or use them as a topping for tacos or enchiladas.
3. Use them rather than contemporary tomatoes in recipes calling for canned tomato merchandise comparable to marinara sauce or coulis. Not solely will you get monetary savings by not having to purchase canned merchandise, however your recipes will style more energizing and extra flavorful as nicely!
4. Chutney is a scrumptious condiment constituted of chopped fruits or greens which might be cooked down with vinegar, sugar, spices, and generally raisins or different dried fruit. It’s excellent for livening up plain outdated grilled rooster or pork chops. To make chutney from blanched tomatoes, merely cook dinner down the chopped tomatoes with onion, garlic, sugar, white vinegar, and your favourite spices till thickened. Store in a sealed container within the fridge and revel in!
5. Tomato bruschetta is all the time a success as an appetizer or aspect dish. To make it, merely combine collectively diced blanched tomatoes with contemporary basil leaves, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper to style. Spoon onto slices of baguette which have been drizzled with olive oil and broil till crispy. Serve instantly whereas scorching! Mmmm…
1. Roasted tomatoes are a wonderful addition to crêpes. They add a pleasant zingy taste that pairs nicely with the sunshine, fluffy texture of the crêpe itself. If you wish to attempt one thing a bit of completely different, substitute roasted tomatoes for the normal strawberry or chocolate filling.
2. Risotto is commonly made with rooster or seafood, however roasted tomatoes can simply be substituted in as nicely. The key’s so as to add them in direction of the tip in order that their taste doesn’t get overpowered by the opposite components.
3. Roasted tomatoes are a good way to jazz up your hummus. Simply add them to your meals processor together with the opposite components and mix till easy. The result’s a scrumptious, flavorful dip that’s excellent for events or simply snacking on at residence.
4. Roasted tomatoes will also be used as a filling for tartlets. Simply mix them with some cream cheese, spices, and herbs, and spoon them into pre-made tartlet shells. Pop them within the oven for a couple of minutes till heated by, and also you’ve bought your self a tasty appetizer or snack.
5. Last however not least, roasted tomatoes make a wonderful salsa topping. Their sweetness pairs completely with the spice of jalapeños and the acidity of lime juice, making a scrumptious salsa that’s excellent for chips, tacos, or simply consuming by the spoonful!
Whether you’re trying to make a fast sauce or add some roasted tomatoes to your salad, microwaving is certainly top-of-the-line methods to arrange tomatoes. Not solely will you be capable to get pleasure from them rather more shortly, however they’ll even be full of scrumptious taste and vitamins. So begin microwaving your tomatoes right this moment, and revel in all the scrumptious meals you can also make with them!