As the error message implies,
0x00000709 often happens if the printer identify is invalid. If this is because of DNS issues, merely connecting utilizing the printer’s IP handle can resolve the error. But issues are often not that straightforward.
To begin with, most customers began going through this error after putting in Windows Updates meant to patch the PrintNightmare vulnerability within the print spooler service. The causes ranged from incorrectly configured communication protocols to incompatible drivers.
Depending on what particularly brought on this error in your case, the decision will fluctuate as effectively. As such, we advocate attempting out the fixes within the order listed right here to cowl all prospects.
It’s greatest to attempt some machine and networking-related troubleshooting steps earlier than beginning with the principle fixes. Check if the error is resolved after every step.
- Restart the pc, printer, and router.
- Press Win + R and enter
msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnosticto run the printer troubleshooter.
- Ping the printer. If pinging fails, run a tracert. The drawback right here is probably going together with your firewall, or the printer or print server’s IP/gateway/subnet configuration.
- Connect utilizing the printer/print server’s IP handle as a substitute of the hostname.
- Log in to a distinct consumer account and take a look at connecting.
Setup Printer Sharing
If the printer spooler in your machine is unable to connect with the spooler service on the consumer machine operating the Print Management Console (usually a print server), that may end up in error 0x00000709. Usually, this occurs as a result of the consumer doesn’t have a DNS report. To resolve this, you’ll be able to attempt organising printer sharing as soon as once more:
- Press Win + I on the first PC that’s related to the printer.
- Select Bluetooth & units > Printers & scanners.
- Click on the printer and choose Printer Properties.
- On the Sharing tab, choose Share this printer.
- On the secondary PC, press Win + I and go to Bluetooth & units > Printers & scanners as effectively.
- Click on Add machine > Add manually.
- Use your most popular methodology so as to add the printer.
If you’re unable so as to add the printer, guarantee sharing is enabled on each PCs. To do that,
- Press Win + R and enter:
management /identify Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingHeart
- Note the community profile kind and click on on Change superior sharing settings.
- Under your present profile, allow the Network Discovery and File Sharing choices and save the modifications.
Change Default Printer
Setting the printer you’re presently unable to connect with as default has resolved this error for a lot of customers. But some customers additionally encounter error 0x00000709 when attempting to set a printer as default. The latter case usually occurs as a result of permission points. Either manner, right here’s what we advocate:
- Press Win + I and choose Bluetooth & units > Printers & scanners.
- Toggle off the Let Windows handle my default printer choice.
- Click on the problematic printer and choose Set as default.
- Check in case you can hook up with it now.
If you’re unable to set it as default, use the steps proven beneath to repair any permission points, then return again and set it as default afterward. We advocate backing up your registry earlier than making the modifications proven beneath.
- Press Win + R, kind
regedit, and press Enter.
- Navigate to:
- Delete the Device worth right here and examine in case you can set the default printer now.
- If you continue to can’t do it, delete the LegacyDefaultPrinterMode and UserSelectedDefault values as effectively (in the event that they exist).
- If you encounter a permission error when making these modifications, right-click the Windows key from the left pane and choose Permissions.
- Select your consumer entry from the record. If it’s not there, add it manually.
- Then, set the permissions to Full Control and press Ok to use the modifications. Finally, repeat Steps 2-4.
Resolve Update Issues
There have been quite a few circumstances previously the place programs that had been working superb began experiencing the 0x00000709 error after a Windows Update. Specifically, KB5005565 and KB5006670 are the same old culprits.
If the issue began after you put in these or different updates, it will be greatest to uninstall stated updates.
- Press Win + I and choose Windows Update > Update historical past > Uninstall updates.
- Click on Uninstall to take away the current replace.
Microsoft additionally launched patches for 0x00000709 and different printer-related errors in Dec 2021. Some of the errors nonetheless endured, however Microsoft has been working to patch these as effectively. As such, another approach to repair this error is to maintain Windows up to date.
- Press Win + I and choose Windows Updates.
- Click on Check for updates, then obtain and set up any obtainable ones.
Resolve Driver Issues
After putting in replace KB5005010, customers generally encountered the 0x00000709 error if their printer drivers had been unsigned, or the signatures expired. You may repair this error in such circumstances by uninstalling the problematic replace, or updating to a patched model, as lined within the earlier part.
Another approach to repair the difficulty is by updating the drivers themselves.
- Press Win + R, kind
printmanagement.msc, and press Enter.
- In the Print Servers part, choose your Print Server and click on on Drivers.
- Right-click the printer’s driver entry and choose Remove Driver Package.
- If you discover any outdated drivers right here which can be now not used, you can even contemplate eradicating these to account for any driver conflicts.
- Restart your PC and take a look at connecting now. If the error persists, you’ll must attempt updating the motive force manually.
- Press Win + R, kind
devmgmt.msc, and press Enter.
- Expand the Print queues part. Right-click your printer and choose Update driver.
- The Search robotically for drivers choice installs a current driver model out of your system’s driver retailer or utilizing Windows Update.
- If you’ve downloaded the newest printer driver from the producer’s web site, choose Browse my pc for drivers as a substitute to manually find and set up it.
- Or if the downloaded driver file is an executable, you’ll be able to merely double-click and run the installer.
- Check if the error is resolved after updating the motive force.
Use RPC over Named Pipes
After putting in the updates mentioned above, some customers encountered the 0x00000709 error as a result of incorrect protocol settings had been used for outgoing RPC connections to a distant print spooler. In such circumstances, you’ll be able to apply the next repair in your machines:
- Press Win + R, kind
gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
- Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Printers.
- Double-click the Configure RPC connection settings coverage.
- Set it to Enabled. Then, choose RPC over named pipes with Authentication disabled and press Ok to avoid wasting the modifications.
On the aforementioned programs, let’s say you’ve set another UNC path for the print server utilizing a CNAME (alias) useful resource report in DNS. If non-Microsoft DNS options are dealing with identify decision, the connection could fail with error 0x00000709. Here’s how one can repair the difficulty in such circumstances:
- On the server system, press Win + R, kind
powershell, and press CTRL + Shift + Enter.
- Run the next command:
reg add HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPrint /v DnsOnWire /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- On the consumer system, press Win + R and enter:
%windir%/system32/drivers/and so forth/
- Launch a textual content editor (e.g, Notepad) as an admin. Use it to open the hosts file within the present listing.
- Include the server’s CNAME report right here and save the modifications.
- Restart the print spooler service:
Net cease spooler
Net begin spooler
- Now that the modifications are utilized, attempt reconnecting.
Check Server Name Length
NetBIOS pc and domains have a 15-character size restrict. If the print server you’re attempting to connect with is known as longer than this, you’ll encounter the error 0x00000709. You can simply resolve the error in such circumstances by renaming the server to fifteen characters or decrease.
If for no matter purpose, you’re unable to rename the server, you’ll be able to attempt an extended workaround. We’ll create a DNS entry within the consumer’s hosts file with a shortened identify. Then, we’ll configure the programs to make sure file sharing and different companies work with a DNS alias.
- First, confer with the earlier part for steps so as to add the CNAME report to the hosts file. Make positive to enter the worth as a NetBIOS identify as a substitute of an FQDN. For occasion, we used
192.168.10.145 CNAMEin our instance. Using the FQDN format
(192.168.10.145 CNAME.TNT.COM)wouldn’t work.
- Back up your registry earlier than continuing additional.
- On your pc, press Win + X and choose Terminal (Admin).
- Execute the next command:
reg add HKLMCurrentControlSetServiceslanmanserverparameters /v DisableStrictNameChecking /t REG_DWORD /d 1
- On all consumer nodes, substitute the worth for the /d choice on the finish and run this command:
reg add HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlLsaMSV1_0 /v BackConnectionHostNames /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d <CNAME or DNS alias>
- Check if the error is resolved now.