The rationale most individuals clone a tough drive is that if they’re upgrading from a Exhausting Drive to an SSD, or from a smaller drive to 1 with bigger capability. Some customers additionally clone a drive to again up the contents onto an exterior laborious drive.
For all such functions, you possibly can both use a Exhausting Drive Cloning Software program – free or premium as you favor – or a bodily laborious drive duplicator. We’ve listed the mandatory steps for both technique, on each Home windows and Mac, within the article beneath.
You need to again up any notably essential information earlier than you begin cloning since there’s an opportunity of information loss if something goes incorrect. To attenuate this risk, we advocate utilizing some type of energy backup reminiscent of an UPS in order that your PC doesn’t abruptly shut down through the cloning course of.
Additionally, listed below are some technical phrases used within the information beneath:
Supply Drive: The drive that at present incorporates the info you’re attempting to clone.
Vacation spot Drive: The goal drive that you simply’re attempting emigrate the info to.
Easy methods to Clone a Exhausting Drive on Home windows
We’ve used Macrium Mirror, AOMEI Backupper, and AOMEI Partition Supervisor for this tutorial as these are the most effective free laborious drive cloning instruments out there on Home windows. However you need to use your most well-liked software program of selection. The steps will likely be comparable for many of them.
Massive to Smaller Exhausting Drive
Listed below are the steps to clone a bigger laborious drive onto a smaller one utilizing Macrium Mirror:
- Plug the laborious drives into your PC.
- Obtain, set up and launch Macrium Mirror.
- Choose the supply disk and click on on Clone This Disk.
- Choose the disk to clone to.
- Click on on Choose a unique supply disk or goal disk if you wish to change them. When you’re proud of the picks, press Subsequent to proceed.
- You possibly can arrange a cloning schedule to backup the drive recurrently on the subsequent display. We’ll ignore this, however you need to use this function if you need.
- Within the last display, undergo the whole lot listed to ensure all the alternatives are appropriate, then press End.
- Settle for the affirmation prompts and look forward to the method to finish.
- Restart your PC and press the BIOS key besides into the BIOS Setup Utility.
- Below Boot Choices, choose the newly cloned drive as the primary selection, and press F10 to proceed.
Small to Bigger Exhausting Drive
Listed below are the steps to clone a smaller laborious drive onto a bigger one utilizing the AOMEI instruments:
- Join the laborious drives to your PC.
- Obtain and set up AOMEI Again Higher and AOMEI Partition Supervisor.
- Launch AOMEI Again Higher and choose Clone > Disk Clone.
- Choose the supply and vacation spot disks and press Subsequent on each screens.
- Press OK > Begin Clone, and as soon as the method ends, press End.
- Restart your PC and press the BIOS key besides into the BIOS Setup Utility.
- Below Boot Choices, choose the newly cloned drive as the primary selection and press F10 to proceed.
- When cloning a small drive to a bigger one, the additional area will stay unallocated by default. To resolve this, launch AOMEI Partition Supervisor.
- Proper-click the lively partition and choose Merge Partitions.
- Choose the unallocated partition and press OK.
- Press Proceed > Restart into Home windows PE Mode > OK.
- As soon as the method is full, press Restart Now.
Easy methods to Clone a Exhausting Drive on Mac
In contrast to Home windows, you possibly can clone a tough drive utilizing the native Disk Utility on Mac. However SuperDuper is a superb free possibility as nicely for cloning functions.
Right here’s methods to a clone a tough drive by way of the Disk Utility:
- Plug the laborious drives into your Mac and launch Disk Utility.
- Word the supply drive’s file system and examine that it’s the identical on the vacation spot drive. If it’s not, format the vacation spot drive with the identical file system.
- Restart your Mac and maintain down Command + R till you boot into Restoration Mode.
- Choose Disk Utility and click on Proceed.
- Choose the vacation spot drive and press Restore.
- Within the Restore from part, choose the supply drive and press Restore.
- As soon as the restoration course of is full, press Carried out.
- Click on on the Apple icon and choose Startup Disk.
- Choose the newly cloned laborious drive and press Restart besides from it.
Right here’s methods to clone a tough drive utilizing SuperDuper:
- As soon as once more, plug within the drives and make sure the vacation spot drive is utilizing the identical file system because the supply drive. If not, format the vacation spot drive to make it so.
- Obtain SuperDuper from the official web site. Then, set up and launch it.
- Within the copy part, choose the supply drive.
- Within the to part, choose the vacation spot drive.
- Within the utilizing part, choose Backup – all information.
- If the quantity of information on the supply drive is greater than what the goal drive can retailer, the applying will show a message about this. On this case, you must both delete some information to clear up area or use a bigger capability vacation spot drive.
- In any other case, press Copy Now and settle for the affirmation to proceed with the cloning.
- As soon as the method is full, press OK.
- Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Startup Disk, choose the cloned disk, and press Restart besides from it.
Easy methods to Clone a Exhausting Drive Utilizing a Duplicator
If you happen to’d relatively not undergo the trouble of cloning a drive utilizing third-party instruments, a bodily laborious disk duplicator could be the right possibility for you. These usually price between 20$ – 100$ and are extraordinarily simple to function. Simply insert the supply and vacation spot drives into the respective slots and press the Clone button.
The one draw back is that some cheaper fashions have a status of not working correctly at instances. So in the event you do select to buy a cloner/docking station, we advocate studying the evaluations and ensuring it’s dependable earlier than getting it. For any additional queries relating to your explicit mannequin, you must seek advice from the handbook.
How Lengthy Does It Take To Clone a Exhausting Drive?
Relying on the laborious drive specs and the quantity of information to clone, the method can take wherever between a couple of minutes to a couple hours. However on common, it normally takes 15 – 20 minutes to clone a 100 GB laborious drive.
Can I Clone a Exhausting Drive With out Utilizing Third-Social gathering Cloning Software program?
On Mac, you are able to do this by way of Disk Utility. We’ve listed the steps for this within the Disk Utility part above.
However on Home windows, there’s no in-built utility for cloning a tough drive. Technically, you possibly can create a system picture, then copy that system picture onto the brand new drive, and use that backup to revive the contents onto the drive.
However this course of is imaging, not cloning. There’s a time and place for this, however for cloning particularly, most customers will discover this technique to be inefficient and an excessive amount of of a problem.
Can I Clone a Exhausting Drive to SSD / USB Exterior Drive?
You possibly can clone an inside HDD to an exterior SSD and some other mixture. The principle factor to bear in mind is that the vacation spot drive will need to have ample space for storing to simply accept the contents of the supply drive.
Does Cloning a Exhausting Drive Copy The OS / Make It Bootable?
Cloning means creating a precise duplicate of a drive. This implies the whole lot on the drive, together with the OS is replicated.
Now alternatively, if the supply drive doesn’t have any OS information to begin with, the vacation spot drive received’t robotically develop into bootable.