The Write Protection on the SD Card restricts customers from writing or modifying any current content material in it. While making an attempt to repeat recordsdata to the SD card, customers can obtain a immediate with the message The disk is write-protected . If you attempt to format the SD card, the same message might seem, stopping you from erasing the recordsdata.
Sd playing cards usually include a slider that allows you to lock or write-protect the recordsdata in it. If you cant unlock the cardboard utilizing the slider, there are different methods we now have mentioned on this article that you need to use to take away the safety mechanism.
How to Remove Write Protection on Micro SD Card
Make positive the SD playing cards slider is unlocked earlier than you start. The full-sized SD playing cards have a slider that locks the write permissions on the storage machine. To confirm that the SD card just isn’t locked, make certain the slider is on the high. If it seems to be locked, gently transfer the slider to the highest.
Remove Write Protection from File Explorer
On Windows, you possibly can edit the entry permissions of an SD card by way of the file explorer. For a tool with a number of customers, it’s also possible to assign completely different permission for a number of customers.
- Connect the SD card to the pc.
- Go the File explorer.
- Locate the SD Card within the checklist of drives and right-click on it.
- Select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab.
- Click on Edit to alter the Permissions.
- Under the Permissions for Everyone, test the Allow sections for Full management.
- Click on Apply to avoid wasting Changes. This will grant you full entry to the SD card by eliminating the write safety on it.
Note: This technique will solely work for the SD playing cards with the NTFS file system.
Change Attributes Using CMD
If you may have inadequate write permissions or the reminiscence is attributed as read-only, you’ll fail to write down over the cardboard. In such instances, you’ll solely be allowed to view the recordsdata on the cardboard.
You can change the attributes of the Card and assign write permissions to it utilizing the command immediate.
- Press Windows X and open the Windows terminal (Admin).
- On the command immediate window, sort
diskpartand hit enter.
- Now, execute
checklist diskcommand to see all of the storage units in your laptop. You will get details about all of the storage units in your laptop with their identify, dimension, and different particulars.
- Locate the SD card from the checklist.
- Now, sort
choose disk Xand hit enter. Note that instead of X, enter the variety of the SD card quantity you situated earlier.
- At final, enter the command
Attributes disk clear readonly.
- This will take away the write safety from the SD card. Disconnect the SD card when the method will get accomplished. Finally, plug it again into the machine and test if it solves the issue.
Modifying the Registry lets customers make root and administrative-level modifications. If you may have didn’t make modifications to the attributes earlier from the Command immediate, you are able to do it manually utilizing the registry editor. However, it’s suggested that you just carry out this with warning, as altering the registry may completely injury the SD card and the system.
- Press Windows Key + R, sort
regedit, and hit enter.
- Now, Navigate to this registry listing.
- Find the folder StorageDevicePolicies folder and open it.
- If you see no folder below such a reputation, right-click on the Control Folder.
- Go to New > Key.
- Now, identify the New key as StorageDevicePolicies.
- Right-click on the newly created folder. Go to New> DWORD (32-bit) worth.
- Name the DWORD worth as WriteDefend.
- Open the WriteDefend file and assign it a price of 0 and click on on OK to avoid wasting modifications.
- Restart the machine and see if the write safety from the SD card has been eliminated.
Perform Disk Check
diskpart utility might fail to clear the attributes due to some corruption within the storage machine. The disk test is a great tool to diagnose any pertaining logical errors within the recordsdata system of the storage machine and repair them.
These logical errors within the SD playing cards file system could cause the storage machine to malfunction and prohibit you from writing something over it. It is good for performing scans to get rid of any points with the SD card.
- Press Windows Key + X and open Windows Terminal (Admin).
chkdsk /r [DL]and hit enter. Replace the [DL] with the drive letter of the SD card.
- The scan course of will now begin, which might take a number of minutes to complete. Upon completion, this scan will repair the dangerous sectors of the quantity.
Run Malware and Virus scan
Viruses and malware are well-known to invoke write safety on storage units, together with SD playing cards. Therefore, to forestall or get rid of these troublemakers performing anti-malware scans turns into essential.
Windows defender is a reliable utility to eliminate such malware and viruses.
- Press Windows Key + R, sort
windowsdefender://menace/, and hit enter.
- Click on Scan choices.
- Choose Custom Scan and click on on the Scan now button.
- Select the drive quantity of the SD card. The Application will now begin going by way of the SD card and scan for viruses and malware.
Removing Write Protection on Mac
If the SD card is write-protected, you possibly can reset the learn and write permissions on it utilizing the Mac terminal.
- Click on the Files tab on the highest left of the desktop.
- On the Finders window, Go to Applications.
- Open the Utilities folder.
- Finally, open the Terminal.
- Now, execute this command
diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`
- Sometimes, it’s essential to run this command with Superuser privileges to get it working.
sudo diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`
- Restart the machine and test if you’ll be able to write into the SD card.
Removing Write Protection On Linux
On Linux, you possibly can simply reset the read-write attributes of the SD playing cards utilizing the Hard disk parameter (
hdparm) command line.
- Connect the SD card to your Linux Machine.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open the Terminal.
lsblkand hit enter. This will checklist all of the accessible volumes related to your machine.
- Identify the SD card on the checklist and observe down its File system info.
- Now, enter this command.
sudo hdparm -r0 /dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb1on this command with the mount path of the SD card.
- Re-connect the SD card and test if the write safety has been faraway from it.