While wi-fi printers make printing jobs trouble-free, typically you’ll have a tough time connecting them. Your pc might not uncover the printer or throw an error whereas making an attempt so as to add it.
When your pc can not discover a wi-fi printer, it’s more than likely on account of a dynamic IP handle assigned to your printer. However, unstable community connection and improperly set sharing permissions are equally liable for the error.
In this text, you’ll be taught totally different approaches to repair when your pc not discovering a wi-fi printer.
How to Fix Computer Cannot Find Wireless Printer?
If your pc cannot discover the wi-fi printer, you first must reboot your PC in addition to the printer. Rebooting the units typically solves the issue with out additional hassles.
Likewise, you want to do some preliminary checks earlier than connecting it. At the very first, you need to be certain that your printer is in Scan mode else your pc gained’t discover it. Depending on the producer, the steps to activate the scan mode might differ.
If your printer has a contact panel, you may simply navigate by way of Wi-Fi settings to show it on. Else, you want to hold urgent the Wireless button or a mix of Wireless and Information buttons to activate the mode. Then you may comply with the steps so as to add a wi-fi printer to your Windows PC.
Fix the Network Issues
Since the issue primarily offers with a wi-fi connection, you must first repair the community points. It will assist if you happen to shorten the gap between your printer and router. Also, your pc and printer have to be on the identical Wi-Fi so the PC can uncover it.
The greatest methodology to attach your printer to the community is both by instantly getting into the Wireless safety key or utilizing the WPS button in your printer. You must also activate WPS performance in your router earlier than you may join your printer utilizing it.
Sometimes the outdated router’s firmware may cause points, and you cannot use the WPS characteristic, so updating the router firmware is a good suggestion in such circumstances.
Install the Correct Driver
The important motive why the printer doesn’t present up in your pc is because of using incompatible printer drivers. Whether it’s a wired or wi-fi printer, first, you want to hardwire the printer to your PC and set up the drivers. Most printers out there may be plug-and-play, routinely putting in the right drivers in your PC as soon as they’re plugged in.
But if not, you need to set up the suitable model of your printer driver your self earlier than you can begin utilizing it. If your printer comes up with a CD or a DVD drive, you should use it to put in the related drivers. Else you want to seek for the mannequin and model of your printer on the producer’s web site to get the right driver.
Run the Troubleshooter
An built-in printer troubleshooting instrument in Windows additionally helps decide if there may be any problem with the printer. It will diagnose and recommend fixes that may assist resolve the issue.
- Hit Windows + I
- Choose the System menu from the left. Then click on the Troubleshoot choice from the correct part.
- Click Other troubleshooters within the subsequent window.
- Locate Printer choice and click on Run button.
- It will verify for errors and recommend related fixes. You can take the mandatory actions afterward.
Make Your PC Visible on Network
If you’re utilizing a shared printer over a community and dealing with points connecting it to your PC solely, chances are high there that you’ve turned off the Network discovery.
When Network discovery is turned off, neither your machine is seen to different units, nor are you able to see and add different units on the community. So, you need to first make your PC seen on the community earlier than you should use the wi-fi printer.
- Hit Windows + R
managementwithin the textual content subject.
- Then press Enter key to open Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose Change superior sharing settings from the left.
- Check the field subsequent to Turn on community discovery beneath Private and Guest or Public.
- Click Save modifications.
Check Sharing Permissions
You can entry the wi-fi printer by instantly connecting it to your Wi-Fi community or sharing through one other PC on the community. In the latter case, you must appropriately set the sharing permissions. Else, you gained’t have the ability to connect with the printer.
The PC sharing the printer will need to have an lively Internet connection and never be in sleep mode. The steps to share a printer by way of a PC are:
- Launch Control Panel in your PC.
- Then navigate to Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Under the Printers part, right-click over your printer.
- Choose Printer properties from the context menu.
- In the brand new window, bounce to the Sharing tab.
- Check the Share this printer choice.
- Click Apply > OK.
VPN assigns a unique IP handle to your PC for personal looking. Using a VPN in your PC may create an IP battle leading to a problem to find a wi-fi printer. So, in case you have any VPN profiles activated in your PC, please take into account turning them off. You can seek the advice of this text on how one can arrange and take away VPN profiles from Windows PC.
Tip: Not solely VPN however Antivirus and Windows Defender additionally typically intervene whereas making an attempt to hook up with wi-fi printers. Consider disabling them and connecting to the printer once more. But bear in mind, you must activate them once more when you end establishing the printer.
Re-add the Printer
If there are any errors through the printer set up, it will possibly forestall the PC from discovering the printer. You can take away the printer profile and add it once more. Re-adding the printer may help your PC discover if any glitches forestall it from doing so.
- Press Windows + R
managementafter which hit Enter. It will open Control Panel.
- While on the Control Panel, choose Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Right-click over your printer beneath the Printers menu.
- Select Remove machine.
- Click Yes within the affirmation popup.
- Once you eliminated the printer profile, now it’s time to re-add it.
- Hit Windows + I
- Choose Bluetooth & units menu.
- Then choose Printers & scanners.
- Click Add machine button beside Add a printer or scanner.
- Choose your wi-fi printer from the listing. If not proven within the listing, click on Add Manually.
- In the subsequent window, verify Add a Bluetooth, wi-fi or community discoverable printer and click on Next.
- Please choose your machine and add it.
Assign Static IP to Your Printer
This is essentially the most essential factor that many wi-fi printer customers on the market miss. Printers usually retrieve IP addresses utilizing DHCP configuration, which means the router assigns them a brand new IP handle each time they’re related to the community. To be exact, your printer will get a unique IP handle each time you restart the router or printer.
When the printer is configured to obtain a DHCP IP handle, you can’t assure that the printer will obtain the identical IP handle set in your PC. Thus created IP battle can forestall your PC from discovering the wi-fi printer.
The IP handle assigned to your printer is acknowledged as a port on Windows PCs. First, you need to set a static IP out of your router’s IP configuration web page. The steps to assign a static IP can differ relying on which router you personal. Once you set the static IP handle in your printer from the router’s configuration web page, subsequent you want to change the port in your printer settings.
- Open Settings in your PC. You can do that by hitting Windows + I
- On the Settings web page, select Bluetooth & units from the left pane.
- Then select Printers and scanners from the correct part.
- Under Related settings, click on Print server properties.
- In the brand new Print server properties window, bounce to Ports tab.
- Select your printer and click on Add Port button.
- In the subsequent popup, select Standard TCP/IP Port and click on New Port.
- Click Next in Add Port Wizard window.
- Type within the IP handle and Port identify you assigned on the router configuration web page and click on Next. It will detect the printer on that IP and assign a static IP.
Reset the Printer’s Network Settings
If your printer’s community settings are misconfigured, you’ll have a tough time connecting it to the wi-fi community. As a outcome, your pc cannot discover the printer. You can simply reset the printer’s community settings from the management panel in your printer. The steps to reset the community settings are fairly related in most printers. Here, we’re taking reference to HP printers for elucidation.
- Navigate to the printer’s management panel.
- Tap the Wireless button in your printer’s contact panel.
- Then faucet the gear icon (Settings).
- Scroll down and faucet Restore Network Settings.
- Tap Yes.
- Once the community defaults are reset, you want to reconnect your printer to the Wi-Fi.
Tip: You may also reset the whole printer if you’re nonetheless unable to attach it to your pc. Resetting the printer flushes each custom-made setting and configuration which may probably be interfering with the community discovery. You can seek the advice of this complete information on reset your printer.
Use USB Connection Mode
You might have definitely found out the answer until right here. But if not, there is perhaps one thing severe together with your printer. Maybe the Wi-Fi module of your printer has malfunctioned or been broken. You can search skilled assist at any time and restore it if wanted.
If you’re in a rush, you may also use a LAN cable and join your printer to the router. It will overcome any Wi-Fi-related bugs. Meanwhile, you may also use a USB cable to attach your pc and printer.